Friday, November 11, 2011

The anti-holiday message

I was disturbed to see an article online today stating that several major retailers have decided to open on Thanksgiving Day this year. As if it wasn't bad enough to see stores open at 4am (instead of what was once "early" at 6am) this past year, now they are said to be opening as early as 10pm on Thanksgiving. I am no stranger to the Black Friday sales but I am usually on the hunt for a few specific things that are realistic to get - Target's flannel pjs for the kids, a specific toy, home appliance, or bedding like Target's flannel sheets. Mark and I ventured out to Kohl's Black Friday sale a few years ago and we will never do that again. At least Target is not a stampede and is rather well-organized. I get there minutes before the doors open (none of this waiting in line for hours or overnight for me) and have never missed out on an item I was in search for.


 
And because of the chaos, injuries and even deaths reported in past years at some big box chains around the nation, I refuse to shop at certain stores (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, and Kohls) on Black Friday or that entire weekend. I will not risk my health or safety for a discounted crock pot or portable DVD player.

I actually went the opposite way with my holiday shopping this year. I finished shopping for the kids and my two nephews in October - all while getting great deals on unique gifts I think each child will be thrilled with and stuck to the budget agreed upon by our entire family. I keep a spreadsheet of what I've purchased so we don't over spend. And most of my shopping was done online because of the huge benefits - online coupons, sales on merchandise not easily found in the actual stores, convenience of shopping when I have the time, and delivery (often free) right to my door! And my side of the family has decided to not trade gifts among the adults from now on and Mark and I are happy with that. We feel blessed to not "need" anything and the kids' extended family would rather focus on picking out a few special gifts for the kids instead. And we're excited to be sponsoring an Angels foster child this year for Christmas. I think the kids will love shopping for their "buddy" and sharing the gifts at the Christmas party in December.

As so many people posted, in response to the article I mentioned above, retailers are taking the meaning out of the holidays by requiring their employees to come in ON holidays. I absolutely disagree with chain stores earning bigger profits at the sacrifice of family time and true celebration of the holidays.

And truth be told the so-called deals everyone are after will probably be posted again closer to the holidays so why should we dash from the dining room table and abandon our family time - which is already so scarce because of overwhelming schedules and to-do lists every other day of the year? I just don't buy it {pun intended}.

So I will refuse to shop at stores (in person or online) on Thanksgiving Day and I hope you'll join me in saying NO to the retailers this coming Thanksgiving holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment