Saturday, December 18, 2010

Revelation and Resolutions

God reaches people in various ways but I often hear the Lord the loudest through music. The Lord certainly didn't bless me with the talent to sing beautifully or to play an instrument, but I do believe He speaks to me through music.

A while back I heard a song on the radio that made me instantly tear up. The message was so powerful that by the time I heard it a second time, I was singing right along with it as loud as I could. Since then I have heard that song on the radio quite often and it just puts life in perspective on days when it's so needed. It's a song called "My Own Little World" by Matthew West. Below is an excerpt of the lyrics. After hearing this song the lyrics stick in my head for days...and I love it. These lyrics have turned into a sort of prayer I pray often.

What if there's a bigger picture?

What if I'm missing out?
What if there's a greater purpose?
I could be living right now

Outside my own little world


Father, break my heart for what breaks Yours
Give me open hands and open doors
Put Your light in my eyes and let me see
That my own little world is not about me


What if there's a bigger picture?
What if I'm missing out?
What if there's a greater purpose?


That I could be living right now
I don't want to miss what matters
I wanna be reaching out
Show me the greater purpose
So I can start living right now

Outside my own little world.

Check out the full song/video via YouTube here.

And if I'm in the car by myself, I turn "Revelation Song" up as loud as I can stand it and sing along as if I'm performing for a crowd of ten thousand. (Shh! That's a secret!) That song gets me so amped up with grace, I feel unstoppable. On a day when it seems like nothing is going right, singing Revelation Song at the top of my lungs is one of the best spiritual boosts I know of!!

As 2011 quickly approaches, I began to ponder recently about my new year's resolutions. And I have decided to give up on creating resolutions. Instead, I want to create a personal purpose. Resolutions are an outward commitment and often get forgotten a couple months into the new year. A purpose is deeper. To me, a purpose is a spiritual commitment. I am honored beyond words to include wife and mother within my life's purpose but for the past few months I have felt the Lord calling me to fulfill an additional purpose outside my own little world. My talent (or gifts) may not be in music but I'm certain the Lord gives us all unique gifts so that we may bless others.

Matthew 25:40 says it perfectly...
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

My prayer for the new year is that we have complete faith in His plan for our life and the strength to follow Him wherever He leads us.

No comments:

Post a Comment